Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Rains Came Down and the Floods Came Up

Here are a few photographs from our flood experience. First we have a picture of our home when we decided to evacuate. The unfortunate fact that Sterling does not possess any ark building skills forced us to stack things on our counter top or pack them up and move them out.
Next we have an illustration of what happens if you don't move your car before the road is closed. We were lucky enough to get the car to safety literally minutes before the road closed. Had we not moved the car we might have been forced to swim to school and work.
Here we have a picture of a man trying to save his refrigerator. I think his efforts were in vain and by the way who would want to save a refrigerator that is floating in poo infested waters? Not me! Anyway, this was taken right in front of our house the day we decided to move. Imagine going to bed when the water is level with the top of the curb and waking up to waist deep water in the street.
In this picture we tried to show just how close the water was to our apartment when we finally finished moving everything. To Sterling's right what used to be our street but is now a river and to his left is the front of our apartment building. Luckily we live in the back of the building and the it is built on a slight incline. The front two apartments sustained a majority of the damage for which we are saddened and a little grateful. We are sad because some of our neighbors lost quite a few of their belongings and yet we are grateful because our home was spared and we don't have to be homeless any longer. We moved home today (6/28/08)!
And finally at least these little guys enjoyed the water levels. This is the apartment two days after we moved. As you can see the water is only being held back by the sandbags that some kind citizens stacked around the building. The sandbags were not able to stop the flood waters from reaching our complex entirely but they sure helped to minimize the damage that could have occurred.

2 comments:

srf said...

I sure am sorry to hear about all the problems you have had. I'm glad you are okay though. Nonetheless, I have an extremely serious concern. I couldn't help but immediately notice that in the picture of the belongings you left in the apt to possibly be flooded, was your plant. Was that Jade? Wasn't she your practice child? I mean, what I'm seeing here is that when your life was in danger you left anything that was holding you back and apparently that is the category Jade fell into. She was right next to the trash can! I now have even more misgivings than I did before about you being responsible for a real child. Please explain yourself--if you can.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you got to save all you posessions. I think I have few things I feel I must keep but probally I would be just like you and want to keep it all.