Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Observations of Children

I love how children ask questions according to their knowledge or understanding. Children make me laugh and on occasion they manage deepen my  understanding and appreciation.

In church on Sunday one of the little boys in our primary class was playing with Makaio when he suddenly tapped me on the leg. I looked at him and while pointing to Makaio's head he said, "Your baby's head is broken." All I could say was, "It used to be, but now it is fixed." This simple answer was enough for him and he continued to play with Makaio.

This reminded me of something that was said when we were back home on vacation. One of our nephews was riding in the back seat with the boys and he asked, "Uncle Sterling, why does your baby have a hill on his head?" We laughed and then Sterling tried to explain the so-called hill on Makaio's head.

These comments were regarding Makaio's shunt. At first I was a little sensitive about the subject and even wanted to hide it the best that I could. Now I realize that it is part of him and that I would never be ashamed of my child whether he has a "broken head" or a "hill"!

2 comments:

nathan n rachel said...

Kids are so funny.

Rachel said...

We were at breakfast with my sister and her daughter who is 7 when she proudly told us, "My mom is growing hair under her arms!" LOL! Kids.
People used to say the most awful things about Eamon's head shape. An adult once told me he looked like one of the aliens from star trek.
It hurt my feelings so much until I realized that my kid is great. He's fine. He can walk and talk and is WAY cuter than that "adult". The shunt helps him be healthy, so the scar is needed. What a blessing for modern medicine and miracles.