- I remember how excited I was for my 18 week ultrasound. I thought that perhaps we wanted the gender of our child to be a surprise but as it got closer I couldn't handle not knowing. During the anatomy scan, I watched the ultrasound tech's facial expressions, and I knew that something was wrong. She kept making a weird face and saying things like, "She isn't letting me get a good look at her heart" or "She has a little nose". I wasn't certain but I got the feeling that she was more concerned than she should have been.
- I remember looking at Sterling and seeing the worry in his eyes and being grateful that I had him by side at that appointment and forever.
- I remember the way in which Dr. Boehm delivered the news and even though it was hard, oddly enough it was also comforting.
- I remember hearing things like "heart defect", "clarifications" and "hypoplastic nasal bone". It was a lot of information to take in but I wasn't sad (at least not at that moment).
- I remember how hard it was to wait for the next two week so that we could get the results of the genetic testing.
- I remember getting the results of the genetic testing and breaking down crying. I wondered how I would bond with her? What would her life be like? How could Sterling and I be the parents of two children with disabilities? Why us?
- I remember calling our families to tell them the news and crying more. I didn't cry because I was sad or ashamed, I cried because I didn't know what to expect. We are so blessed to have supportive/loving families that will love Anela no matter what!
- I remember how overwhelming it was to read about her diagnosis and try to imagine what our future would be like. I cried myself to sleep more often than not and still wondered if I would love her the same or even as much as I love Makaio and Kekoa.
- I remember thinking about whether or not people would tell me that I had a beautiful baby. I wondered about a million vain and selfish things because all I had was a diagnosis and not an actual baby.
- I remember seeing her on ultrasound and thinking she looked like our family but wondering if that was just what I wanted to see because it made things easier (in my head).
- I remember crying some more and being sad that this was our story and not just someone else's.
Then my water broke and we were headed to the hospital about to meet our little girl for the first time.
- I remember getting prepped for the c-section and praying that somehow I would fall in love once she was brought around the curtain.
- I remember laying on the operating table and being nervous that I wouldn't be able to bond with her once I saw her.
- I remember the anesthesiologist giving me a play by play of the c-section and hoping that he would just say that I had a beautiful baby girl. He ended up saying just those words and I knew that he genuinely meant it.
- I remember that after Sterling saw her for the first time and came back around the curtain that I could tell by his facial expression that the prenatal diagnosis was true.
- I remember wondering if Sterling felt like he loved her and wanting him to tell me that everything was going to be okay.
- I remember hearing one of the nurse's ask if I wanted to see her and then bringing her over to me and slowly turning her toward me. It was evident that she had Down syndrome but I instantly fell in love with her. I shed a few tears and as those tears fell so did my fears. She was beautiful. She was our baby. She was perfect.
- I remember going to the NICU to see her for the first time. I saw her across the room. Everything changed to slow motion. As I walked toward her I knew that she was everything that I wanted her to be and more importantly she was everything that our family needed her to be.
- I remember sobbing as I held her for the first and knowing that I loved another human more than I ever thought possible. I am so in love with Anela and I can't imagine my life without her.
So in response to Michael's questions...I do remember when I fell in love with her and I do remember when we first met. It all happened on March 06, 2013 around 8:00 pm. She won my heart when I first laid eyes on her and I fall in love with her more and more every day!
What I remember today is that having Anela in our family will make us all better people.
Today is World Down Syndrome Day and I am so grateful for yet another reason to celebrate our sweet baby girl!
9 comments:
Cylynn, I remember when I met you in college. One of my most favorite things about you was your ability to be positive no matter what and laugh through challenges. Obviously the Lord knows that too. Your kids are lucky to have you. Congrats on a beautiful girl.
She is so beautiful!! you are a wonderful mom who can do anything! Congrats on Her and on being such great parents to get a daughter of God as special as she is.
Sorella, this post made my eyes get a little wet! She is so precious. I don't think I ever told you about the day in Pisa that was shaping up to be kind of terrible, then a down-syndrome man sat next to me and said hi, I don't know why but he made me so happy and that day turned into a good one. I think you're going to have lots and lots of good days with this sweet little girl.
Cylynn and Sterling, you guys are so so blessed, and so amazing. Your children could not have been blessed with better parents. What an amazing family they've had the blessing to join!
She is beautiful, she is amazing! you are so lucky.
Reading this reminded of this blog post I once read. It is beautiful, worth the read:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html
I finally got to your blog and read it. Anela is beautiful! You are an amazing person and clearly an amazing mother. Heavenly Father has blessed you with some amazing children because he knows that you are going to be a blessing in their lives. I love you and I am so glad to know you. Your family is absolutely beautiful.
I finally got to your blog. Anela is absolutely beautiful and you are so lucky to have such a beautiful family. Congratulations!
Chad's day was made today by seeing a little boy with Down Syndrome. He would go up to Chad and give him a big hug over and over. We both love this post! Thank you! You do have a beautiful baby girl!
Look at those cheeks and that face! What a beautiful little girl! I am sad you don't live here anymore I would love to meet her!
Cylynn, Thank you so much for sharing the blog with me. How amazing! What a special family you have. I really appreciated your honesty in all the concerns, knowing as I read that this sweet little girl would be so loved by her family and all who gets to know her. Your family is in for many wonderfull blessings.
Post a Comment