Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sweet Memories

Earlier this month Sterling and I were able to attend the sealing of one of my very best friends. We were privileged to travel to Nauvoo and witness the eternal union of Gina Valenti and Mat Brox.

Gina was one of my college roommates. It is both interesting and entertaining to look back on my time spent in Arizona and reminisce about the good and bad experiences with which I was blessed. I owe a great deal of thanks to those with whom I lived for their influence during those years.

Imagine six girls, all from different backgrounds, most of them only briefly acquainted with each other and managing to live together under one roof. Gina came to live with us when one of our roommates finished her final semester of school. I still remember the day that Gina came to look at the house and see if it was going to be a good fit for her.

Shyla, Erin and I were sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast while Kristen showed her the house. When Gina left we each took turns stating the reasons why we thought Gina would fit in with us and then stating our concerns. I don't think we could have imagined what great friends we would become and how perfect she was for all of us at that time.

All of that was about five years ago. Since then we have all moved out of the house, most of us are married and very few of us still live in Arizona. Although we are separated by many miles and we have not lived together for many years, the memories made at 1237 W. Hermosa Drive still live on.

I am as grateful to Gina for the memories that were made during our time together in Arizona as I am for the sweet memory of her sealing. It is such a blessing to see how the strengths and weaknesses of each of the six girls has blessed our lives in a variety of ways. Though we are not bound together by the walls we call home we will forever be bound together by the memories made within the walls of that home.

So to Josie, Shyla, Erin, Jordan and Gina I want to say thank you for your love, support, friendship and especially for the sweet memories.


No comments: