Thursday, August 7, 2008

Home at Last

I must apologize as we are behind on our blogging. I have no excuses worth mentioning, but I am going to strive to catch us back up today as I have little else to do.

On June 28th (notice that is before our last post) we were able to move back into our apartment. All in all we were only out of our apartment for 15 days. We were very blessed by the Lord as the damage our apartment sustained was minimal. In fact, our apartment was only flooded with one inch of ground water. Try and remember back to all your geology classes in high school and college to remember what ground water is (that means you Swaag and Tote). In other words, we had no bacteria nor fecal matter that filled the water most of the people dealt with in the flooding; therefore, rather than smelling like the rest of the street which induced severe vomiting for many, our apartment smelled as sweet as honey. Furthermore, since we only had ONE inch of ground water the sheet rock in the apartment was placed high enough that it was not touched. Hence, no molding occurred in the apartment and all that needed to be replaced was the carpet. The first of the Lord's blessings.

Lest you think that the Lord's goodness ended there I will relate more of the flood story to you. The owner of our building just happens to own a carpet business. As you can imagine after severe flooding like Iowa sustained here in the last month the carpet businesses that were not under water were kept relatively busy. However, the Lord provided us with carpet from the owner of the building and it was laid within four days of the water exiting our apartment. All in all we were able to move back in within two weeks after we moved out and within five days of the water receding out of our apartment.

We also did not have to pay a cent for our lodgings while we were away due to the kindness of those around us. It was incredible to me to see the love and sacrifice those around us were willing to show us in our time of need. The night we moved out we received multiple phone calls from the ward members, my friends at school, and Cylynn's friends at work offering places to stay and help to move. I may be repeating some of the remarks Cylynn made in previous posts but I want to show my gratitude.

I am grateful for the Lord's blessings in our lives. Unfortunately, even though we were able to move into our apartment so quickly I cannot claim that we arranged our apartment back to the way it was nearly as quickly. It remained in the state you can see below for far too long. I did enjoy my new computer though, as you can see.

No comments: