Monday, July 5, 2010

Contact Isolation

One of the things that generally happens when babies are intubated is that bacteria starts to grow in that tube. It doesn't necessarily mean that the bacteria is going to harm the baby or that the doctors are going to do anything to try and treat the bacteria. They just tell you that things are growing in the trachea tube, that they are going to leave the bacteria alone and that now you have to wear gloves plus gowns whenever you want to touch your child.

My thoughts are, "If I have to wear a gown and gloves to touch my own child then it sounds a little more serious that what you are implying." It turns out that I am the mother and not the doctor so if they tell me the bacteria isn't harmful, I will believe them. If they tell me to wear a gown, I'll wear a gown.

Much to my mother's dismay, it's almost to the point that I could actually answer YES to the often asked childhood question of "If so-and-so told you to go jump off a bridge, would you?" I've come to the realization that the statement, "Because I'm the mother and I said so" gets you nowhere in the NICU. I haven't actually tried it out yet but sometimes when things seem stagnant, I really want to.

Since our camera is usually pointed at the boys and all you ever see is pictures of them, I thought I would take the opportunity to post a picture of Sterling. Here is Sterling dawning the new garb that is required if we want to touch Makaio.


No comments: