Saturday, August 14, 2010

New Cribs

After a long awaited month Kekoa is in a new 'crib', pun intended. Kekoa moved to bay 2, a less intensive part of the NICU, to be with Makaio last week. We are blessed to have the in adjacent rooms with a connecting door between them. They are now approximately ten feet from each other and we can check on them without running back and forth across the NICU all day. We can also talk to both at the same time which is very exciting. The next step will be to hold them at the same time. Here is a picture to give you a better idea of how their rooms are connected.

New room

You may have noticed Kekoa is in a new bed in the picture. He is not only in a new room but is now big enough and keeping his temperature well enough to stay in a crib. Not only that, but he gets to wear clothes. Luckily he is small enough to fit in premie clothes still. He is 5 pounds 4.4 ounces and 16 1/2 inches long. I say luckily because we were given a plethora of premie clothes and Makaio is already too big to fit in any of them. That's right. Makaio is 6 pounds 12.5 ounces. He is also 18 1/4 inches long. He is in newborn clothes now. Our boys are growing fast.

K. Sheffield in his new crib.

M. Sheffield over 6 pounds.

Dad has a new 'crib' now too. I have been living in Rochester Minnesota for the past two weeks working at the Mayo Clinic. I am loving my time at work but dreading the time at home in our townhouse. It is depressing to come home to an empty house each evening. I am trying to set up the house and empty all of the boxes. Trying is the key word in that sentence. My fellow employees have been wonderful and supportive. They gave me a great welcome with University of Iowa colors flying over my desk (see below). It has been such a blessing. My favorite part of the job in these first couple of weeks has been training in the newborn hearing screening. The screening is fine but seeing the babies is awesome. It is mind blowing to see newborns who are the same size or only slightly bigger than our boys. Makaio is actually bigger than a couple of the babies I have seen.

My desk at Mayo

I drive down to Iowa each Thursday night and back up to Minnesota on Sundays every week. The drive down is long but nothing compared to the drive back up. My favorite part of visiting, besides spending time with Cylynn, is cuddling with the boys. I try and get in as much hold and cuddle time as possible each week. Here are some pictures of me cuddling with the boys. We took our first naps together.

We are so blessed to be receiving such great care for the boys here in Iowa. However, we hope that we can all be together in our new 'cribs' in Minnesota.

Dad with M. Sheffield

Dad with K. Sheffield

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Sterling, I'm so glad you are able to be close enough that you can drive back to IA. I guess it's good Mayo worked out and not some other place further away.
Call us if you need anything!

Erin Teichert Barbuto said...

Boy, they're sure growing like grasshoppers with knees...or grasshoppers with weeds...or whatever that saying is. Do they look just alike? They're pretty darn cute. What are their middle names? Erin or Aaron?

The Sheffield's said...

Erin oh Erin, their middle names are not Erin because that is a girl's name and it is not Aaron either because do you think that even sounds good with their first names??? Anyway, their names are Makaio Kahananui (after Joseph) and Kekoa Haleakala (after Waleryan). Do you approve? FYI, they look nothing alike.

Tawnya said...

That is so great they get to share a room. I can't imagine how hard it is to leave them each week Sterling. I love your Iowa desk though!

Erin Teichert Barbuto said...

I guess if Aaron was their middle name they really wouldn't be named after me anyway. I'll just have to wait for you to have a girl...
I just asked Joey if he wished one of us were Hawaiian so we could give our kids neat names like that. I guess they'll have names like Giuseppe and Mariabell...or Ann and Emily. Anyway, those kids are cute and I'm so glad they're doing well. When do you think you'll get to go to Minnesota?