Makaio is now feeding ad lib. This means that he eats when he wants to eat and as much as he wants to eat. He seems to be so laid back that the nurse and I actually have to wake him up so that he doesn't go for more than four hours without eating. My reason for waking him up is selfish (so that he and Kekoa stay on the same schedule) so luckily the nurse is looking out for Makaio and his needs.
Kekoa on the other hand is only allowed to breastfeed three times a day. All of his other feedings are given through his feeding tube in order to give him time to rest and continue growing. He is a natural when it comes to breastfeeding and took off on his very first attempt. This is his third day breastfeeding and the doctors say that if he continues to do well today that he can move to per protocol feedings which means that he would be able to breastfeed every three hours if he is awake and willing. Depending on the amount of time that he eats he will be supplemented with a full feeding, half of a feeding or even better, nothing at all.
Both boys are getting really big and are getting really close to being discharged. Sterling and I are excited and nervous to think about what this means for our family. Looks like we really better get buying cribs and other necessities before the boys are home and we are scrambling to get things in order.
P.S. Mom you better start looking for a ticket out here, the boys are looking forward to your visit!
5 comments:
Great news! I'm happy to read such a good report.
Yay! What wonderful news!
I'm so happy for you!!!
It is sooooo good to hear that the boys are doing well. They have really filled out. So adorable. The ones of you guys holding both of them are priceless. I have never seen two prouder and happier parents.
They're getting close to discharge? That's fantastic! I have an idea. Why don't you make a list of things you guys need for the twins and post it here and then if anyone has that stuff or can get it for you, they'd know what you need? I don't have two cribs, but I might have something that can help...I have some shoes that are next to new and we have tons of guitars, mandolins, and ukelelelelels...(how do you spell that?). I don't think a list would be tacky.
Post a Comment