Thursday, June 3, 2010

Little THINGS You Did Not Know About the Sheffields

This post is I believe, a necessity, before posting the current announcement for the week. Even though many already know, we have not posted on this blog that we have been pregnant for the past five months. We found out a few weeks ago that we were expecting two boys, which seemed to already be expressing their rambunctious natures in the womb. I think they wanted to prepare us for the energy filled additions we were soon going to welcome into our lives.

I was in China a couple of weeks ago. I called Cylynn in the morning of May 21, 2010 in China and the evening of May 20, 2010 in Iowa. Cylynn was heading to the hospital. She had had a little bleeding. When she got there they told her that she would have the babies in less than 48 hours. Needless to say, I hurried to the Beijing airport to try to fly home. My original flight home was scheduled for six days later. United was kind enough to wave all fees for the change and put me on standby for the next flight. I made it on the flight and was back in Iowa by the evening of May 21, in Iowa or the morning of May 22, in China. The babies had not come yet. We were blessed.

That 48 hours turned into days and we were back at home the following Thursday, May 27; the day I was supposed to arrive back from China. At that point we had to decide whether to still make our move to Minnesota the first week of June for me to start at the Mayo Clinic. We had an appointment on the following Tuesday, June 1, with our doctor to decide if Cylynn could make the move. I packed the rest of the house over the weekend that we and our sister Deena had packed previously. We were all prepared to move or not to move depending on the appointment results.

The appointment on June 1 was at 11:30 am. We saw the doctor and Cylynn was starting to dilate. The move was put on hold and Cylynn was again admitted to the hospital. This time the doctor said that she would be in the hospital until the babies were born, whether that be days or weeks.

We arrived shortly thereafter in labor and delivery and the babies were monitored as plans were discussed. Around 4-5 pm in the evening another doctor took a look and found that Cylynn had dilated more in those few hours. Our doctor was contacted and we discussed the option of scheduling the birth or waiting for an emergency c-section. We decided to schedule a planned birth and the everyone began preparing for the birth as soon as possible.

Here is a video of us preparing for the birth.


Even though the video is titled cool, calm and collect, I think I was too giddy to contain myself. Here is a picture of Cylynn excited and me in my garb for the birth.


1 comment:

Salcido Family said...

Congratulations! They're beautiful!!